- Server Rules
- Approved Mods
- Beginners' Guide
- Spawn Cannon
- Spawn Shop
- General FAQ
- Server Events
- PVP Guide
- PVP Classes
Below are the rules on the hcfactions server. You will usually get a warning before you are kicked and kicked before you are banned. If anyone notices any of this going on please contact a moderator or administrator. These rules will evolve to reflect anymore no-nos we encounter.
General Server Rules
- No use of hacked clients. There is a list of approved mods on the HCFactions website. The use of any other mods will result in an immediate ban.
- Any exploitation of a dupe bug or mechanic granting you resources that cannot be obtained in a legit manner will result in an immediate ban. If you stumble upon one, please report it immediately to an admin. If you report a bug we are not aware of, you will be given a free life.
- No racism, bigotry, or other forms of hate speech. Profanity is permitted so long as you do not push it to a level that is offending other players. This includes structures depicting racist symbols or skins associated with hate speech. Players receive one warning, then kicked, then banned.
- No alts are allowed on the server. The use of alting will result in both your main and alt account being banned from the server. We are very good at finding alts.
- Do not invite a player into your faction then immediately kick and kill them. If you want to kill someone, you must do so on the battle field, not through tricking them into joining your faction. This isn't in good taste and will result in an immediate ban.
- No chat spamming or advertising. This results in an immediate ban.
- The use of the log in / log out exploit to enter a base will get you banned. If you do this due to a disconnect or by error, please contact an admin or, worst case, let the people kill you. It is best to come talk to us after the fact and have us work out a life appeal for you than get a ban, so consider that.
- Show respect to other users. As a death ban server, we understand that you might be upset. Betrayals happen, and emotions go wild. We are a community and ultimately everyone is here to have fun, so please keep that in mind. Do not threaten other players jokingly or not. Consistent harassment of users can result in a ban.
- Please keep hacking accusations and "how did you get in?" things to private message. If you feel someone is cheating, please contact an admin. Posts about accusations and what not will be deleted from reddit and continued abuse can result in a ban. Do not keep asking for nodus checks in chat. Do not continue to accuse and drag out your problems and personal hacking accusations in chat. The admins are always willing to hear you out, and we prefer to handle these things between the two parties involved.
- Prohibited potions can be used from dispensers. It is completely legal to use a negative potion in a dispenser trap. However, it is not legal to use a positive potion in a dispenser. Potion effects are tracked in the database, so if you are caught with a positive prohibited potion effect on you, we know it is from a dispenser and you will be subject to a ban.
- Lava Griefing is prohibited as it lags the server. We track lava usage in the database and will kick/ban.
- Using tree growth to glitch through glass-panes is not allowed.
We always welcome feedback on the server. Feel free to express feedback on what you do and don't like about the server. That is how we make this place better for everyone. If I missed something, let me know.
Admin Assistance Guidelines
- If someone is stuck in your base, they should use the /stuck command to get teleported out. (See Command FAQ for more information on this command)
- The administration team will not make changes to factions. We will not change faction names. We will not add you / remove you as officer. We will not add you / remove you as administrator. We will not kick members.
- If a member of a faction builds an event on the creative server, no member from that faction can use the event in the first week nor claim any "end game" prize.
- Administrative issues need to be handled in moderator mail, private messages, or on the forums. The subreddit is reserved for server updates, stories, collaboration, and other gameplay/server related things.
To help balance game play on the server and promote more PVP, certain restrictions have been made to enchantments and potions.
Helmets and Boots can be enchanted on an enchanting table but will not give you combat type enchants.
Tools and Swords can be enchanted on an enchanting table but will not give you combat type enchants.
Approved Potions (NON-EXTENDED unless specifically stated):
- Health I Drinkable or Splash
- Poison I Drinkable or Splash
- Weakness I Drinkable, Splash, or Extended
- Harming I Drinkable or Splash
- Slowness I Drinkable, Splash, or Extended
- Speed I Drinkable, Splash, or Extended
- Speed II Drinkable ONLY
- Strength I Drinkable ONLY
- Regeneration No instances of Regeneration are allowed.
Not Allowed (except when fired from a dispenser):
Illegal negative potions are allowed to be fired from dispensers (such as in traps) even though they can't be thrown.
- Poison II Splash
- Poison Extended Splash
- Weakness II Splash
- Harming II Splash
- Slowness II Splash
Note:Many of these effects can be achieved now through the Bard Class (gold armor, see PVP Classes). Some of the positive splash potions were removed to make the Bard Class useful in combat.
Approved Minecraft Mods
Below you will find a list of links and some information about all of the mods that are allowed on the server. If you are unsure if a mod is legal to use or not that isn't listed here, then it's probably not. Just ask a Moderator or Administrator about it. These all are updated for Minecraft 1.2.5 and will be updated as they are updated in the future.
- ModLoader - A mod to install other mods. Making your life a bit more simple.
- Optifine - Customization mod to improve frame rate and other video settings.
- Rei's MiniMap - A very nice map that sits in your HUD. You can also set way points.
- Toggle Sneak & Improved Chat - Toggle sneak allows you to stay in sneak mode without having to hold a button down continuously. Improved chat brings a longer scroll back, special characters, the ability to turn chat off/on, copy/paste plus click on links.
- Magic Launcher - A Minecraft launcher which can load mods dynamically without changing or patching the minecraft.jar.
- Status Effect HUD - StatusEffectHUD displays your currently active potions/effects without having to open your inventory! Easy as pie!
- Mine Video - MineVideo is a mod that enables you to record ingame footage with the touch of one button. It's as easy as taking a screenshot and the resulting video files are small enough to quickly upload them to YouTube.
- Minecapes - Imagine a minecraft world where everyone is free to change their skin on their own. What? You say that's already possible? NOPE... its not. There's still one thing you can't really change (or even add): your cape!
Take a look at the dynamic map so that you get a feel for where you may want to build a home. You start with 60 minutes of PvP protection so log in and work quickly.
- In spawn, fish until you have approximately 8-12 fish.
- Make sure it is day light. Head to the spawn cannon and type /sc launch.
- Get your bearings straight and begin heading the furthest from spawn you can. If you see trees, stop to collect wood. You want to be under ground before the end of the day, and need 30 wood blocks ASAP.
- Once you get enough wood, continue to head out of the war zone. This should be around ~600 blocks in any direction. DO NOT RUN. WALK. You should only have used 2-3 hunger for all the prior steps if you didn't run and minimized jumping.
- Once you are 1000-1200 blocks out, time to go below. Preferably, you'll want to find a spot to dig down that isn't obviously visible from the surface. Remember to never dig straight down. For those who are very newbie, that means two in front of you, then one down, rince and repeat. This way you always see what is below you before you drop down.
- Travel all the way to level Y=11 (hit F3 to show your coordinates). You will hopefully have dug through some coal by now, or even better iron. If you haven't, don't worry, you will soon. If you dig into a cave system, DO NOT ENTER IT. It is best to plug up the hole and dig in a different direction. Cave systems = monsters, and we don't want to fight quite yet.
- Once you hit Y=11, pick a direction (OPPOSITE OF SPAWN) and start digging. Seriously, just dig in a straight line. Be careful as you dig, you should be above most lava pools but sometimes you'll still get an occasional one.
- How is your hunger? If you've survived this long without using a single fish, congrats. If not, no worries. But lets go ahead and make that fish last a bit longer. Build a furnace, and cook the fish you have. They will now restore more hunger. NEVER OVER EAT. If you have 1 hunger remaining, don't eat just to go completely full. You want to utilize your food the best you can.
What should I build first?
- So you are digging in a straight line. You should be collecting quite a bit of coal and iron, and some gold and (hopefully) diamond soon. Iron is your most important item right now. Your first item should be an iron pickaxe and iron bucket. The pickaxe will greatly speed up your mining, and the bucket will be used to hold water (your savior against lava).
- Now begin making iron armor. Keep an eye on your iron pick axe and make extras as required. Do not bother with making an iron sword, by the time you have iron pickaxes, an iron bukket, and iron armor you should have hopefully hit a patch of diamond. Use your first two diamond to make a diamond sword.
- Now just keep going. You'll get lucky sometimes, sometimes you won't. But if you keep digging, you WILL find diamond. If you run into a cave system (at Y=11) use your water bucket to turn the lava into obsidian. You can then walk along the top and hopefully spot easy formations of diamond/iron. Be careful mining diamond/iron near the obsidian, there could be lava underneath it. I always try to dig completely around a diamond vein if its near lava, just not worth losing my precious to the lava.
- Remember to collect all the iron and gold you see. You'll sell these at spawn for coins, which can be used to claim land and nether ingredients for potions.
- Running low on food? If you have two buckets of water (you guys carry two, RIGHT?) you can create an endless supply of water. If you build a 1x3 hole and put water on either side, the middle block will be endless water. You can use this to build an underground pond and fish for more food. If you were lucky enough to get some seeds, consider a farm eventually, but right now mobility is key.
- DON'T WASTE DIAMOND ON PICK AXES. Seriously. Don't. Yes diamond pickaxes will mine faster, but your goal isn't to mine faster, its to mine diamond. Iron is plentiful, diamond is not. Consider the fact that the time you save with a diamond pickaxe is negated by the fact it costs three diamond to build one. Once you've got full diamond armor and a sword, its your call. There is no doubt you'll mine coins faster with a diamond pickaxe. I personally never use a diamond pickaxe for mining.
Head to Spawn
- So by now, after 60-90 minutes, you should have full diamond. I'm not joking. It is that easy. Now take all that lovely iron ore and gold ore and smelt it into ingots. Once you've got a couple stacks of iron and a stack or so of gold, it might be time to go to spawn.
- This is by far the most dangerous part. If you run into a player now, you might have full diamond but they'll likely be enchanted and have potions. As such, you are going to want to avoid all combat. As such, consider going top side and rather than head to spawn, search for enderman. If you can secure even one ender pearl, that is your get out of jail free card. If you see a player coming at you, chunk it as far as you can in the direction of spawn.
- Locate the faction shop and sell your goods. I always keep about 20 iron on me for extra pick axes, unless I've already got a few in land.
- You should have plenty of coins now. You can either use it to start a faction or buy some potion ingredients. It probably wouldn't hurt to get enough ingredients for some basic potions (Speed 2, Strength 2) as they will greatly enhance your ability to escape and survive. If you have a faction now, type /f home to return to your home spot. If you don't, maybe you can find one. Pay close attention to chat and watch how players react to one another. Some factions have malicious intent, and you may be best to keep lone wolfing it until a more newbie friendly faction comes on.
- Remember to use the spawn cannon to exit spawn. No use wasting all this hard work because you get killed by a spawn killer.
The spawn cannon is a tool to get out of spawn fast but it also has complete randomness. It will not harm you. If you are a platinum donator you can aim the cannon to any spot (excluding event zones) up to 600 blocks away.
- /sc launch - Command to launch yourself from the cannon.
- /sc aim - Command to launch yourself to a specified location up to 600 blocks away. Excludes event zones and you must be a platinum donator to use this feature.
The spawn shop allows you to buy and sell certain items in exchange for coins.
- Netherbrick (x32) — 64 coins
- Nether Fence (x10) — 20 coins
- Soulsand (x1) — 8 coins
- Ice (x1) — 10 coins
- Inset Stone Brick (x10) — 150 coins
- Cracked Stone Brick (x10) — 75 coins
- Mossy Stone Brick (x10) — 75 coins
- Redstone Lamp (x1) — 10 coins
- Blaze Rod (x4) — 250 coins
- Nether Wart (x4) — 250 coins
- Glowstone Powder (x4) — 250 coins
- Redstone Dust — 1 coin each
- Lapiz — 1 coin each
- Iron Ingot — 5 coins each
- Gold Ingot — 10 coins each
- Diamond — 50 coins each
General HCFactions FAQ
What should I do when I first login to the server, and what should I know?
- Read the rules before anything else.
- Spawn is located at 0,0. You can not teleport to spawn. You must run, boat, walk, or sneak there.
- Use the spawn cannon or run away from spawn after reading rules, and make sure you aren't followed!
- Collect wood, food, and start mining.
- New players receive 60-minutes of PvP protection. This does not protect against mobs, falling damage, or other environment dangers.
- "/pvp time" allows you to check how much time you have before PvP protection runs is gone.
- "/pvp disable" will disable your PvP protection.
- PvP is enabled in all areas but the starting spawn.
What are the main parts of the map?
- Spawn - The place where you sell iron/gold/diamond and are completely safe from PVP attacks (but not mobs).
- War Zone - A dangerous area that you have to cross to reach spawn. It does not permit you to use buckets for lava reasons, and you shouldn't try to build a base in this area. You can not claim land in the war zone.
- Wilderness - The rest of the 5,000 x 5,000 map. You can build anywhere, just be wary of other factions that may be nearby.
- A bird's eye view of the entire world can be viewed on the Dynmap
Can I join a faction immediately?
While it is possible that you can join a faction, most players will not let you join until you have established yourself (see the Beginners' Guide).
Instead of spamming the in-game chat asking to join a faction, try to work on establishing your own supplies and materials first, and then ask if a faction is recruiting, or just create one on your own.
Do I have to create a faction?
No. You can remain factionless and build your home in the wilderness. The experience remains like any other hardcore death ban server. You can kill people in factions and roam the world as a lone wolf. If you decide to make a faction later on, you can.
If you choose this option, your stuff and all of your belongings can be looted and griefed at any time, so beware.
How do I create a faction?
Type "/f create [faction name]" - no "" or . For the rest of this FAQ, we will assume you named your faction NOOBIES
How do factions claim and declaim land?
- Factions can only claim land once they have 2 or more members.
- Claiming land costs in-game money, called Coins.
- Land costs 100 coins for the first claim, and 50 more thereafter. So it is 100 for first, 150 for second, 200 for third, ect…
You can claim land in three ways.
- Claim - type "/f claim" - This claims the land you are standing on in a 16x16 area, from bedrock to the skybox.
- Radius - Type "/f claim NOOBIES 25" - The number represents the radius that you want to claim, so in this case, you would have a 25x25 plot of land that belongs to your faction.
- Autoclaim - Type "/f autoclaim NOOBIES" - This will claim land that you walk on.
You can declaim land in three ways.
- Type "/f unclaim"
- Type "/f declaim"
- Declaiming land returns to you 70% of the value of the land.
What important commands should I know once I make a faction?
- "/f sethome NOOBIES" - This allows you to create an area inside your claimed land that you can teleport to at almost any time.
- "/f home" - This costs 30 coins, and takes 30 seconds to warm up. It will teleport you to your faction home. If you are within 100 blocks of an opposing player, you will not be able to use this command.
- "/f open" - Opens your faction and allows anyone to join your faction.
- "/f close" - Closes your faction and requires an invite in order to join.
- "/f invite [player name]" - Invites a player to your faction. - Invite may be shortened to "/f inv [player name]".
- "/f uninvite [player name]" - Remove a pending invitation.
- If your faction is closed invitations are required to join the faction.
- "/f desc [insert text here]" - Changes your faction's description. For instance, you could type "/f desc We have no idea what we are doing."
- "/f officer [player name]" - This can only be done if you are the faction Administrator (creator). This gives or revokes officers rights to one of the members of the faction. It allows them to
- "/f admin [player name]" - Hand over your admin rights to another member. Note that you are really handing it over. You will not be admin for the faction any longer. You will be turned into a officer, but the new admin could kick you any time.
- "/f kick [player name]" - Kick a player from the faction (will not work if player has negative power).
- "/f show" - This will show...
- The power of your faction.
- The number of players in your faction.
- Who is online and offline.
- How many plots of land you own.
- Your faction's power.
- "/f show [faction name]" - Shows the same information for another faction.
- "/f power" - Shows your power level.
- "/f leave" - Allows you to leave the faction at as long as your power is positive.
- "/f ally [faction name]" - Ally your faction with other factions. When you are allies, you cannot attack members of those factions, and they cannot attack you. * Note: Allies can build and destroy blocks on your land so choose allies carefully.
- "/f neutral [faction name]" - Places your faction in neutral status with another faction.
- "/f enemy [faction name]" - Places you in a hostile position with another faction.
How do factions claim my land, and how do I claim theirs?
- A faction may claim your land if your power falls below zero, or if the number of plots you own is larger than the power of your faction.
- You may claim another faction's land if their power falls below zero, or if the number of plots they own is larger than the power of their faction.
- Claiming enemy faction land that is contested is 50 coins less than normal.
How does a faction's power increase or decrease?
- Each individual in a faction can reach a maximum power of 10.
- The more individuals in a faction, the more power a faction will have (2 players = 20, 3 players = 30, etc).
- Your power (and faction power) decreases over time if you do not play consistently.
- Your power (and faction power) decreases by 20 each time you or someone else dies, assuming they have full power.
- You lose 20 power on death. This means you go from +10 (maximum) to -10 (minimum). This means when you die, you actually hurt your faction, as you cause a total power swing of 20, whereas each faction member can only be worth 10.
If I die, do I respawn immediately?
If you die, there is a three day death ban, so use your time wisely and be on the lookout for any attackers.
How do I get coins, and how do I view how many coins I have?
- You receive 100 coins when you first login to the server.
- "/econ" - Allows you to view your coin total. - In order to get more coins, you must sell iron, gold, and diamonds at spawn.
To sell ores, visit the spawn shop and right click the proper sign. You will see your coin total increase each time.
- Iron has a value of 5 coins per ingot (or 45 coins per iron block).
- Gold has a value of 10 coins per ingot (or 90 coins per gold block).
- Diamond has a value of 50 coins each (or 450 coins per diamond block)
How do I see how much money is in my faction, and what else can I do with the coins?
- /f money b,balance NOOBIES - shows faction bank balance.
- /f money d,deposit [amount] NOOBIES - deposit money into faction bank.
- /f money w,withdraw [amount] NOOBIES - withdraw money from faction bank.
- /f money ff [amount] NOOBIES [faction] - transfer money from faction to faction.
- /f money fp [amount] [NOOBIES] [player] - transfer money from faction to player.
- /f money pf [amount] [player] [NOOBIES] - transfer money from player to faction.
If I think someone is cheating, or I was banned for a non-bannable offense, what should I do?
- Contact HighlifeTTU on Reddit.
- For cheating claims, private message him.
- For ban appeals, submit your appeal here: Ban Appeals
- Please Include:
- Your in-game name.
- Your reason for appealing the ban
- Ban appeals will not always be granted, but when they are, Viva give you an extra life.
Mines are areas spread around the war zone that regenerate certain blocks after a set period of time. The blocks you can find range from iron, gold, and diamond, to rare blocks or nether blocks. These places are a great way to secure some additional resources using combat gear.
Inside of mine areas death ban is ENABLED. As such, it is critical that you be mindful of your surroundings, and work quickly. Additionally, monsters deal 3x damage and take 50% less damage, as a result it is recommended that you come properly equipped with potions and other goods.
Temple / King of the Hill
The Temple area is located West of spawn inside the Warzone. [View on Dynmap]
King of the Hill was designed as a competitive area for players to fight over. Capturing the hill is done by holding the top area of the temple for 30 minutes without leaving the area. If you die or leave the area at any time, the timer will restart.
King of the Hill has deathban DISABLED, meaning you can die there and you will instantly respawn. However, be aware that you will still take power loss. As a result, be prepared to /f home and defend your land if you think your power will drop below claimed land.
Rewards are a random number of diamonds and an item from the loot table.
The Factions Arena allows factions to challenge one another to a battle to the death. The faction that issues the challenge is able to choose the loadout shared by all participating players from loadouts created by the admins, the number of participants from each team, and whether or not deathban is enabled for a match. All participants are restored to the exact same location, inventory, and power level they had when they joined the fight at its completion.
- /arena challenge [Faction] [Type] [Ban/Noban] [# of players] (/arena c) Issues a challenge to another faction, if typed incorrectly the player is informed of the part that is incorrect and the available challenge types and their descriptions are displayed. Types also autocomplete (so de would load "default" challenge or ch would load "chainmail"). This command has a default cooldown of 90 seconds.
- /arena accept & /arena join Used in the challenge phase for a mod or admin of a faction to accept a challenge and a member of a faction to join an accepted challenge to fight.
- /arena watch Available only when a battle is in progress, a player's inventory is saved and cleared and they are teleported to the spectator area to spectate the arena. Upon the arena's completion they will be restored their previous state.
- /arena stop Can be used by spectators to stop spectating in the arena.
- /arena showtypes Lists available challenge types and their descriptions.
- /arena status (/arena s) Informs the player of the current arena status and which factions are participating (if applicable).
- /arena help Displays a basic help message.
PVP Guide by: HighlifeTTU
While it has been a while since I have done a significant amount of PvP, it is still pretty fresh in me and I've also witnessed some of the larger battles on the server. As a result, I'm going to give a quick and concise guide to PvP on HCFactions.
Before you even think about getting into PvP, these items are required:
- Full diamond armor: Allows you to take more damage.
- A diamond sword: Allows you to dish out more damage.
- Potions: including Strength (drinkable), Speed 2 (drinkable) (escape/chase), Healing 1 (splash) (healing for yourself and teammates), Poison 1 (splash) (deadly damage output if you land it), and Harming 1 (splash) (deadly damage output if you land it).
- A bow and arrows (Used for long range engagements / water engagements)
- Milk (to counter poison)
- Ender pearls (Enter battle / Escape battle)
Success in PvP is almost as much about determing the strength of your opponent as is the actual fight. If you are in the full equipment above, but determine you are about to enter a 3v1 versus opponents without potions or enchanted armor, you have a good chance of winning the fight. The stats page on HCFactions is a great way to determine the skill of your opponent, and if you have time to do some research prior to an engagement, it is advised. If you get caught off guard and feel you do not have the upper hand, the best bet is to flee the battle. Throw an ender pearl towards the best direction of escape (towards allies, spawn, or your faction home) and then continue to run away from your opponent. As soon as the ender pearl lands, you will be teleported away. If you are running low on health as you throw the pearl, drop some splash potions of healing at your feet while you wait for it to land. It won't matter if you hit your opponent in the process, the goal is to escape. Once you've teleported away, continue to distance yourself. Remember there is a cool down on ender pearls. There are many situations where I've been caught off guard, retreated to safety, then returned with full health and my potion effects proc'd. I win the fight since now I'm fighting an even battle, and won't be trying to make up for a few hearts of damage while I was getting my bearings.
Potions: They are important
Some people on the server think full diamond armor will win them every fight. No. It won't. The single most important thing in PvP is potions. They are your life line. A quick explaination will be provided for each potion, showing its importance.
- Strength: If you don't have a Strength on you, you will get beat. This is what I consider to be the most important potion in the game, as its damage increase is quite powerful.
- Speed 2: It doesn't matter how good you are, if your opponent is faster than you he will be able to dictate the battle whether it be escaping from you or chasing you down. Also, someone with speed 2 is incredibly hard to hit with a poison potion, so consider it a defensive weapon as much as it is an offensive one.
- Splash Poison: This is the biggest offensive weapon in the game, as it causes a huge amount of damage over a short period. While countered by milk, when the opponent drinks the milk he/she will wipe all positive potion effects as well, giving you a huge upper hand. Be careful in its use. This potion can be hard to throw. It is recommended you practice throwing these against friends to make sure you know how to use them when it counts.
- Splash Healing 1: Your life saver. Your hero. You can spam these at your feet if you need to. Always have a couple ready in your quick bar. If you get caught in a bad spot, splash healing can keep you alive long enough to turn the fight around.
Jump Jump Jump
If you didn't know this, now you do. If you hit someone while in the air you score a critical hit. The risk you take is you might fly a bit further if you get hit by a knockback sword. You can tell someone is taking a critical damage by some "sparks" that come out when you hit someone. Try it on a friend to see what it looks like. Jumping also makes you move slightly faster when running at the expense of greater hunger use. If you wondered how someone caught up, they were likely jumping. So everybody JUMP JUMP JUMP.
Your hunger dictates your natural health regen, which can make or break a fight. You use hunger quicker through sprinting, jumping, and swinging a sword (even if you don't land a hit). Making each move count is very important in a long fight. Carry bread with you, and eat it at the right moment to refill your hunger. If you are running from a fight, it can be a good idea to eat to full hunger, then throw a splash potion of healing to refresh some health if you get hit while eating. Keeping a full hunger bar is incredibly important.
If you are in a VERY long fight, this can make or break you. If you lose a key piece of equipment, you will begin taking a huge amount of damage. While carrying extra pieces of diamond isn't good if you die, it could be helpful once you reach a comfort level in your PvP. Take note of your equipment before a fight. Is your helm at half durability? Might want to bring a regular diamond helm just in case. If you see your opponent lose a piece of armor, its time to go for the killing blow. In such a situation, you could use splash healing at your feet to heal both you AND your opponent to full health, knowing you will be dealing much more damage overall.
Negative Potion Effects
Watch your negative potion effects. Poison is obvious, slowness and weakness aren't. If you get hit with a weakness 2 splash, you are doing -6 damage. You won't do a thing to anyone. Carry milk for these situations. As stated earlier, be aware of how the fight is going at all times. Take a weakness 2 potion to the face? Time to ender pearl away, drink milk, and then rechug your important potions.
More potions means less space to pick up items. Keep your inventory clean and with only thing things you need. Do you need that axe? Probably not. Carrying two stacks of bread? Unnecessary, drop the extra bread. Each potion matters. If you are in a long fight, running out of key potions is just as bad as losing a piece of armor to durability. Big team battles tend to mean more potion usage, so equip yourself accordingly.
The Killing Blow
Kill your opponent? Loot quickly. This is a team server. Chances are, if you are facing an opponent in a large faction, his buddies are already on the way the minute you start the engagement. Grab all the equipment you can, and then run. Nothing sucks more than winning a big fight, only to spend two minutes sorting through your prize only to lose it all because you stuck around too long.
Deathban versus Non-Deathban
In certain zones deathban is disabled. This includes the King of the Hill zone, as well as at certain mine locations. You can easily see this by the "Deathban Disabled" message that will pop up as you enter the area. I've seen a lot of players attempt to flee a fight, only to die 20 blocks outside the death zone. If you are not the best escape artist, it may be better to take your death in the non-deathban zone, rather than get chased outside a non-deathban zone and lose a life / wait three days.
But Highlife... We hit each other the same amount and I died!
Minecraft isn't like most competitive games. There is randomness built into the numbers, which I one day hope to fix. So while the randomness exists, there is a chance you get beat simply because a person is dishing out more random damage than you are.
Remember that there is no shame in backing off a fight. After some time, you will see what is "normal" for damage taken, and be able to recognize when you've taken too much damage in a short amount of time. This type of accumen will seperate you from an average PvPer, but will take time to learn.
Diamond Armor (Standard Setup)
Diamond Armor is the most protective armor in the game and has the highest durability. There are no special effects for people wielding Diamond Armor, and this is the "go to" 1v1 or small group setup.
Leather Armor (Archer Class)
An individual wielding a complete set of leather armor receives a bonus to archery. Therefore, it is considered the "Archery Class". The Archery Class has a 2.0x damage increase to all archery damage regardless of range, and receives an additional bonus based on distance. The bonus is detailed as follows:
- Less than 20 blocks distance to target: 2.0x damage bonus
- Greater than 20 blocks distance to target: Distance / 10 damage bonus.
For example, if the Archer Class successfully hits a target at a distance of 33 blocks, the bonus would be 3.3x damage. At 50 blocks, 5.0x damage. Long distance shots are very deadly to all classes.
Archers also take reduced damage from incoming arrow attacks. This reduction is a flat value reduction that makes arrows that are non long range shots from Non-Archer classes deal no damage. Long Range Shots from Non-Archer Classes will deal a small amount of damage. Shots from Other Archers will only see a small decrease in damage when shooting at other Archers.
- Long distance combat.
- Ability to deal out large amounts of damage without being engaged in the heart of a battle.
- Low armor protection. The Archer Class is dispatched very quickly by a diamond sword.
Archers are essential in large group battles, especially in defense of event areas.
Gold Armor (Bard Class)
An individual wielding a complete set of gold armor has the ability to support fellow faction mates by giving them a boost if they are within a 10 Block radius from the Bard Class player. Therefore, it is considered the "Bard Class". The Bard Class applies a given boost on a timed interval based on the "Item in Hand" at the time the boost is to be applied.
Applied every 5 seconds with a duration of 6 seconds (so if the same item is continuously held the effect will stay constant)
- Blaze Rod - Strength I
- Ghast Tear - Regeneration II
- Magma Cream - Fire Resistance I
- Sugar - Speed II
Applied when the "Item In Hand" is "Right Clicked" however using an Instant Effect ability creates a 30 second cool-down during witch time no other effect (Timed or Instant) can be used.
- Glistering Melon - Heals 6 Hearts Instantly
- Wheat - Heals 6 Hunger Instantly
- Eye Of Ender - Reveals Invisible Rouge Players within 80 blocks. (Forces a 30 second cool-down on the Rouge Player before they can go Invisible again)
- Ability to apply bonuses to multiple people for an "endless" amount of time without having to carry large supplies of Potions.
- Ability to switch bonuses on the fly as needed.
- Instant Ability to Heal Health or Hunger.
- Gold armor is relatively weak and easy to spot making this class a target in a fight.
- Does not have much offensive abilities because if the Item In Hand is not one of the items above no effect will be given. (I.E. Support player is holding a sword to fight off an enemy, no effect will be applied as long as they are holding / fighting with a sword)
- Bonus do NOT stack from multiple Bard Class Players. I.E. If two Bard Class players in the same faction try to apply a Strength bonus it does NOT increase the time, or power of the effect.
- Multiple Bard Class players can apply different effects at the same time. I.E. If you have 4 Bard Class players each one could apply a different timed effect so all players within range of all 4 would get all 4 effects.
- Instant Effects do stack. I.E. If two support class players activate the instant heal ability from Glistering Melons all players within range of both would get 12 hearts of health.
- Effects are ONLY applied to FACTION members (they are NOT applied to Alliance members)
Chain Armor (Rogue Class)
An individual wielding a complete set of chain armor has the ability to be invisible for short amounts of time, and use the back-stab ability. Therefore, it is considered the "Rogue Class". The Rogue class has the ability to right click on an Eye of Ender and become Invisible for up to 2 minutes. When invisible if a non-faction player is within 10 blocks the invisibility will be auto removed and a cooldown will be put in place before you can try to go invisible again. If you right click on an Eye of Ender when already invisible it will cancel the invisibility without the cooldown wait that getting within range of a non-faction member has.
The Rogue class also has the "Back-Stab" ability that is activated by attacking with a Gold Sword from behind. 2 Successful Back-Stab hits to kill an Archer, Bard and Rogue Class. 4 Successful Back-Stab hits will kill a Diamond Armor Player. Every Successful Back-Stab destroys the Gold Sword (I.E. you need 4 Gold Swords to kill a Diamond Armor Player).
Note: The Bard Class has a ability to reveal Invisible Rogue Players within 80 blocks of themselves and if you are detected by a Bard Class player you will be unable to go invisible again for 30 seconds.
- Invisibility when not within 10 blocks of a non-faction member for up to 2 minutes.
- Back-stab using a gold sword.
- Can be detected by Bard Class.
- Armor is weak compared to Diamond.